Manitoba Municipal Heritage Site No. 103
Designation Date: November 8, 1993
Designation Authority: The L.G.D. of Park
Present owner: Trustees of the Ruthenian Greek Catholic Church
Location: NE 10-20-22W
The present church was built in 1928 and restored in 1997. The first log church was built in 1905 on donated land which is now a cemetery. When the congregation grew to 40 families, the present church was built with timber from Riding Mountain National Park.
The Ukrainian Catholic church was constructed in 1911 upon five acres of land donated to the parish by Theodore Barabash. Parish members built the church under the guidance of Wasyl Kuch, Mark and Theodore Nowosad at a cost of $1,500. This church is rare. There are probably fewer that 10 such examples of log Ukrainian churches in Manitoba today.
It is designated on the cross or cruciform plan, with three domes or “banyas”. The larger dome dominates the centre of the structure, while the smaller domes crown two frontal towers. Pointed stained-glass windows punctuate the woodsided walls, towers and porch. The well preserve interior includes a large church patron icon and ornates paintings of holy images.
From Rossburn travel north on PR 264 and follow the signs. Interior visits by appointments only – call 204-859-2762 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.