To find out about various public notices for Rossburn residents, please scroll down.
Additions to the Voters List and/or Personal Security Protection Requests
ANNUAL PUBLIC NOTICE
THE TOWN OF ROSSBURN
In accordance with Section 36 of The Municipal Councils and School Boards Election Act (MCSBEA), the Town of Rossburn Voters List is open for changes or revisions.
- Any person who is eligible to vote in municipal elections in the Local Authority of The Town of Rossburn can have his or her name added to the Voters List, or have any information about the voter on the Voters List corrected.
- Any person can request to have his or her name and address obscured from the Voters List.
A person whose name has been obscured will receive a Personal Security Certificate and identification number. In a civic election, that person may only vote by Sealed Envelope Ballot and cannot vote in person at the regular or advance voting places.
To implement the above, a written request must be submitted to the Senior Election Official, in person, by email, fax or mail to:
The Town of Rossburn
Rossburn, MB R0J 1V0
The next General Election takes place in October, 2014.
Senior Election Official
Pursuant to By-Law 08-98 (page 1 - page 2)burning permits must be obtained before starting any fires within the Municipality. Only exemptions are:
(i) A fire in an enclosed container for the purpose of burning garbage. Open end must be covered with a metal grate.
(ii) A fire encircled by dirt or sand normally considered a “camp fire” and only at established camp grounds; Arrow and Rossman Lake.
(iii) Single bales, piles, or windrows of straw created from tillage. The burning of straw is also subject to Provincial regulations.
Those in contravention of this By-Law may be subject to fines and/or firefighting costs.
Those within a 3-mile zone of Riding Mountain National Park must obtain a burning permit subject to provisions of the Wildfires Act. Please contact Manitoba Conservation in Shoal Lake to get a permit.
Building Permit/ Plumbing Permit (Rossburn Planning District)
All residents, property owners or contractors are responsible for obtaining a building permit and, where applicable, plumbing permit prior to any development of land or the erection, construction, relocation, placement, removal or demolition of most buildings. For application forms, information and assistance, please contact Kerry Lawless at 859-2779 or fax 859-2959 or the Rossburn Planning District.
Building inspector: Willy Brown (for contact information, contact Kerry Lawless)
Ditching - Drainage License
A drainage license is required to drain/ divert any body of water off your property.
The Water Rights Act states that no person shall use or divert water, or construct, establish, or maintain any works, unless he holds a valid license.
If you plan on doing some ditching, please contact the Regional Water Manager, Dept. of Conservation, 1129 Queens Ave. Brandon, MB R7A 1L9 or the Conservation Office in Shoal Lake (Phone 759-4080).
Protection of Road Allowance
1. Any owner or occupier of land bordering a road allowance shall not erect fences or barricades of any kind enclosing all or part of a road allowance in with the land on which he operates.
2. All fences must be erected on or within the legal boundary of the parcel of land which the owner or occupier is operating.
3. No fence, or other kinds of obstructions shall be built across a road allowance for purposes of providing an enclosed pasture for livestock or any other purpose.
4. Any person wishing to remove trees on a road allowance must obtain permission from his Councillor.
5. It is an offence to deposit rock or stone piles, garbage or any other objects on land legally designated as a road allowance.
Check with your Councillor and/or Reeve about any other road allowance questions.
Water meter (town)
The Town Office wishes to thank all the residents that co-operated over the years in reading their water meters so conscientiously every three months.
For the next three months, our Maintenance department staff will be changing the meter in your house. These will be read remotely; therefore, you will not need to read any more meters. Please accomodate them to the best of your ability.
If this is not possible, please phone the town office to make arrangements for this to be completed. The job requires 20 minutes in most instances.
In the event that your house will be vacant, please inform the office of your absence and isolate the water service or request that someone, like a friend or neighbour monitor this dwelling in your absence.
In the past 6 months, we have had three instances whereby the water pipes have either burst or malfunctioned and has resulted in flooded basements. 50,000 gallons of water translates into $750.00!